Episode 3: The crisis Making suggestions

The Queen of Sheba



Denise explains why she's in such a state of panic and Paul is not pleased. Will Anna be able to help resolve the crisis?

------------------------------------------------
Language for making suggestions

This episode explores language for making suggestions.

Phrases from the programme:

Can I make a suggestion?

Why don't you try...?

Have you tried asking your colleagues?

Maybe I could do a big office search for you...?

How about looking through your rubbish bin...?

I have an idea!

Listening Challenge

Why was the memory stick wet?

The answer is at the end of the pdf script.




Listen | Click PLAY to hear report


Narrator: Here we are again at Tip Top Trading, where Anna's interview for a sales job has been suddenly interrupted. Office assistant Denise has entered the  room, looking very worried. What's wrong? And will Anna have any suggestions that might help?

Denise: I don't know what to do!


Paul: So what's the matter Denise?


Denise: You know the PowerPoint presentation?


Paul: The one we've been preparing for the last two months?


Denise: Yes.


Paul: The one that's very, very important and that we need this afternoon?


Denise: That one.


Paul: Aha.


Denise: We've lost everything!


Paul: No!


Denise: I had it on a USB stick, to transfer it, but the stick has vanished!


Narrator: Right Anna, now is your chance to help them find solutions to the problem. You'll need phrases like: Can I make a suggestion? Why don't you...? Have you tried...? Maybe we could...? How about...? I have an idea!


Paul: But don't you have it saved on your computer?


Denise: No, it was taking up a lot of space, so I deleted it.


Paul: So you have lost the only copy we have.


Denise: Yes.


Narrator: What idiots! I've never seen such a disorganised office. Go on, you'd better help them, Anna.


Anna: Can I make a suggestion?


Paul: Yes, please do!


Anna: Why don't you try looking in your recycle bin? It might still be there.


Denise: I did. It isn't.


Anna: Have you tried asking your colleagues if they've seen the memory stick?


Denise: I did. They haven't.


Anna: How about looking through your rubbish bin to see if you threw it away by mistake?


Denise: (getting shirty) I don't do silly things like that!


Paul: All very sensible suggestions Anna, thank you.


Anna: Maybe I could do a big office search for you...? I'm good at finding things.


Denise: There are confidential documents in this office – non-staff are not allowed to see them.


Paul: Now, now Denise. Why don't you drink up that nice tea?


Anna: I have an idea! Did you ever email the presentation to anyone?


Paul: Golly gosh, you did Denise! You emailed it to me to proof-read. It'll be in
my inbox somewhere. Good thinking Anna!


Denise: I was just about to suggest that myself actually.


Paul: Problem solved. Thank you Anna!


Anna: Pleasure.


Narrator: Well done Anna!



Paul: Right, now please leave us Denise. Anna and I will continue our interview.
Would you like a biscuit Anna?


Anna: Thank you. Oh, what's that?


Paul: Oh golly gosh, the USB stick! It was mixed in with the plate of biscuits that Denise brought in.


Anna: It's wet!


Paul: Yes, I think maybe I stirred my tea with it at one point. Oh well. Now, where were we...? My goodness, it's 11 o'clock! I have a meeting right now! I'm afraid I'm going to have to go. But I've made up my mind about you anyway. I
suppose you'd like to know if you've got the job?


Anna: Yes please!


Narrator: Ah - Stop right there! I'm sure everybody would like to know if Anna's got the job – but everybody's going to have to wait until we've heard her helpful phrases once again: Can I make a suggestion? Why don't you try looking in your recycle bin?
Have you tried asking your colleagues if they've seen the memory stick? How about...? Maybe I could do a big office search for you...? How about looking through your rubbish bin...? I have an idea!


Paul: Anna, we need someone who can think on her feet and who is a first-rate
people person. Someone who sees solutions, not problems... someone like
you! So if you want the job, it's yours!


Narrator: Ah, now think carefully Anna – do you really want to work for these
people? They seem a bit... disorganised.


Anna: I would definitely like the job! Thank you!


Narrator: So be it. Join us again next week for Anna's first day as a sales executive at Tip Top Trading.


· Listening comprehension question
Why was the memory stick wet?


Because it had been in Paul’s tea.

PS: e Tiến Anh chúc các bạn sớm thành công và nghe hiểu được tất cả các bài học nhé !